If you're planning a trip to Budapest and feeling overwhelmed with choosing a hostel, I'm here to help!
I stayed at eight different hostels in Budapest, including Maverick Urban Lodge.
This article presents my review of Maverick Urban Lodge Budapest, which I ranked as the best hostel on my best hostels list based on my personal experience.
Summary — Maverick Urban Lodge
Who is this hostel for?
- This place offers maximum comfort and quality of life. It's like living in a college dorm, and I can attest that it's perfect for long stays.
- In fact, I stayed here for 30 days in March for only ~280 euros.
What was the best part of staying here?
- The overall level of comfort.
- There's a state of the art non-coed shared bathroom with huge showers on each floor or private bathrooms on some floors.
- I also loved my bed's privacy curtain and the giant locker which fit my luggage, computer and backpack.
What was the worst part of staying here?
- Honestly, the only thing that was lackluster is the kitchen, but this is only annoying if you stay an ENTIRE MONTH in the hostel like I did.
- There's little space for cooking, the fridge is full to the brim and disorganized. Other than that, this hostel is well-rounded.
- Oh, and always use the locker for valuable stuff, lest your stuff get stolen!
Did I enjoy my stay here? Would I return?
- Yes, Maverick is my go-to hostel in Budapest.
- Even though I love the social atmosphere of party hostels, depending on what's going on in my life, I like having a dependable place where I can have some spacefor myself and get things done.
How much does it cost? Is it good value for money?
- Prices start from 9€ per night in off-season, making Maverick Urban Lodge an extremely affordable hostel.
- If you want to maximize value at the expense of some comfort, I recommend Avenue Hostel which includes 2 free meals for the same price.
Summary & Overall Impression
Maverick Urban Lodge is the place to be for comfort seekers looking for a short or long-term stay. It's like your own college dorm room, perfect for even month-long stays.
It's not a party hostel, but there are plenty of chances to be social and meet people.
In terms of pricing, Maverick offers exceptional value for money, with off-season rates starting from just 9€ per night for a bunk bed. I stayed here for 30 days in March for 280 euros.
Even in the high season, prices remain reasonable considering the quality of the hostel.
- Centrally located in the quieter 9th district, not far from the Danube.
- Easy access to nightlife options, public transport, and the 100E airport shuttle bus stop.
- You can expect typical hostel noises from other guests, but street noise is generally low to moderate.
- The hostel is located near a relatively quiet 1-lane intersection where buses and trolleys occasionally pass by.
- This hostel has a 24/7 front desk for easy check-in. They'll ask for an ID and give you a passcard for your room.
- You can also sign up for events and tours at reception.
Vibe & People
- This hostel has a social atmosphere where it's easy to meet new people in the common dining area.
- They also have a weekly dinner event, an organized fun drinking events, and bar crawls.
- There is an excellent onsite bar at the hostel that also serves food and coffee.
- The rooms resemble a modern dorm setup, equipped with large lockers, privacy curtains, and high-quality beds.
- The 4-bed setup was comfortable and the bed was great, complete with a privacy curtain, item box, light, socket, and no annoying squeaks.
- Depending on the type of room you have, you can access a large, secure locker using either your passcard or a padlock (available for a fee at the reception).
- Some rooms have drawers in addition to the lockers.
- The bathrooms at this place are excellent. On my first visit, I had access to a clean and spacious shared bathroom with a fantastic shower.
- During my second longer stay, my room came with a smaller yet equally impressive private bathroom.
- The kitchen could use more space and better equipment.
- It feels cramped with limited cooking space and a fridge that's always packed. This is the one area that needs improvement.
Open-Air Roof For Chilling & Smoking
- On the top level, there is a terrace that is a delightful place to relax or take a smoke break.
🧑 Perfect for:
- Budget-conscious solo travelers or digital nomads (male or female)
🛏️ Rooms offered:
- 4, 6, or 8-bed mixed or female-only dormitory rooms
- 1-2 bed private rooms
- From 9€/night (shared room)
- From 46€/night (private room)
🧖 Most important amenities:
- 24/7 front desk
- Shared kitchen
- Laptop-friendly work area in the lounge
- Secure item storage in the reception
- Item locker
- Shared bathroom (not co-ed)